Administrative review

If an application is refused the applicant can ask for this decision to be reviewed. This is known as an Administrative Review.


Biometrics Residence Permit (BRP)

You will have to apply for a Biometrics Residence Permit as part of your application to extend your visa or settle in the UK. All applicants aged six or over are required to give their biometrics; these will be scans of all fingerprints and a digital photograph. A BRP can also be used as a form of identification.


Business Days

Monday – Friday (excluding any public holidays).


Business Visitor

A person granted leave to enter or remain in the UK for the purpose of trade, commerce or a business or commercial transaction.


Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS)

A unique reference number which links you to your proposed UK-based job and to your UK employer. It is issued by your sponsor.


Civil partnership

A legally recognised relationship between two people of the same sex.


Commonwealth citizen

A national of any of the 53 countries within the Commonwealth of Nations


Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS)

A unique reference number that you will need when making your Tier 4 student visa application. The CAS is confirmation of your unconditional offer of a place to study with a UK higher education institution.



When a person’s leave to enter or remain in the UK is shortened so they have a lesser period of, or no, leave remaining.



A person whose support and maintenance relies on the aid of another person, such as a child supported by his or her parents.


Entry clearance

The process whereby a British High Commission or Embassy in another country grants you permission to enter the United Kingdom. Commonly referred to as a visa, entry clearance is evidence of your entitlement to enter the UK.


European Economic Area (EEA)

The EEA represents the European Union (EU)’s single market, which allows for the free movement of goods, capital, services and people between EU member states and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.


Foreign National

Also known as an overseas national, this term applies to non-UK passport holders.


Home Office

The Ministry of UK government that manages all nationality, immigration and asylum applications. The Home Office is also responsible for the development and enforcement of policy in these areas.


Immigration and Asylum Chamber (IAC)

An independent Tribunal dealing with appeals against decisions made by UKVI in immigration, asylum and nationality matters.


Immigration Officer

A government employee who ensures that immigration legislation is enforced by examining passports, visas and other immigration documents at UK border control.


Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)

An immigration status granted to a person to allow them to remain in the UK permanently.


Law Society’s Immigration and Asylum Accreditation Scheme

A recognition of excellence in immigration advice and representation services. A member will have shown the Law Society that they have a high level of knowledge, skills, experience and practice in the area of immigration and asylum law. Morgan Dias Immigration is pleased to be a member of this highly-regarded scheme.


Leave to enter

Permission given by immigration officials at the UK port of entry in accordance with a particular immigration category.



The process whereby non-British adults apply for British citizenship.


Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC)

The OISC is the United Kingdom regulator of the immigration advice industry and is responsible for ensuring that all immigration advisors fulfil the requirements of good practice. Morgan Dias Immigration is regulated by the OISC as a quality assured legal practice.



This can be a biological parent, a stepfather/stepmother, or an adoptive parent.


Points-based System

The means of regulating immigration to the United Kingdom from outside the European Economic Area (EEA). It is composed of “five tiers” and is administered by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).


Present and settled

The person concerned is settled in the United Kingdom and is physically present in the UK when an application is made, or is coming to the UK with or to join the applicant and intends to make the UK their home with the applicant if the application is successful.


Public Funds

Public funds include a range of benefits that are given to people in the UK on a low income, as well as housing support.



The process whereby non-British children apply for British citizenship.


Right of Abode

You are allowed to live and work in the United Kingdom without restriction; you are free from UK immigration control and you do not need permission from an immigration officer to enter the UK.



An applicant is registered as self-employed with Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs, or is employed by a company of which the applicant is a controlling shareholder.


Sponsorship Licence

Organisations and businesses based in the UK often require a sponsorship licence to employ someone from outside the European Economic Area (EEA). This means that the organisation or business is approved by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) as a valid sponsor for your visa application. The two application categories that may need a sponsor are Tier 2 and Tier 5.



A partner in a marriage, civil union or domestic partnership.


Tier 1 (Entrepreneur)

For those wishing to set up or take over a business (or businesses) in the UK that they will be actively involved in running. It grants three years leave and those applying must have over £200,000 of funds. This may lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK.


Tier 1 (Investor)

For those who wish to invest £2,000,000 or more in UK government bonds, share capital or loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies.


Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent)

For those who are recognised or have the potential to be recognised as exceptionally talented leaders in the fields of science, humanities, engineering or the arts.


Tier 2

Covers skilled workers with a job offer from a UK-based employer. There are several categories under Tier 2, these are:

General (subject to an annual limit of 21,700)

Minister of Religion

Sports and Creative workers

Intra Company Transfer (ICT)

Before you can apply under Tier 2 you need a valid certificate of sponsor (from a sponsor who is registered with UK Visas and Immigration).

For Tier 2 applications, points are awarded for the following:


Future expected earnings


English language skills

Available maintenance (funds to support yourself)


Tier 4

All student visas are classed under Tier 4 of the points-based system.


Tier 5

Covers temporary workers and youth mobility.

Temporary workers are comprised of five sub-categories:

Temporary workers – International Agreement

Temporary workers – Charity Workers

Temporary workers – Creative and Sporting

Temporary workers – Religious Workers

Temporary workers – Government Authorised Exchange

Before you can apply for this category you need a valid certificate of sponsor (from a sponsor who is registered with UK Visas and Immigration).


UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI)

The branch of the Home Office responsible for the United Kingdom visa system. UKVI considers applications from foreign nationals seeking to visit or work in the UK, applications from businesses and educational institutions seeking to become sponsors of foreign nationals and applications from foreign nationals seeking British citizenship.


UKVI Same Day Service

This premium service enables applicants to submit their UK visa applications to the UKVI and in most cases receive a decision within one day. Morgan Dias Immigration is registered on the UKVI list of approved representatives and is able to use the same day premium service. For more information please see our Same Day Services.


United Kingdom Border Agency (UKBA)

The former name of UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

Latest News

Click here to read our Privacy Policy

Your access to and use of this Website is conditional on your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions of Use

© Morgan Dias Immigration Ltd 2014